This Vegan Tex-Mex n’ Mango Casserole combines the sweet taste of mango with the hot taste of chili for a tasty delight your family will love. The bell peppers and mango give it a wonderful color contrast with the spinach and green chilies. Top with my Cilantro-Lime-Jalapeño-Avocado Cashew Sauce and serve with a green salad and organic tortillas for a full-on meal deal.
Ingredients for the Tex-Mex Spice Blend:
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoons sea salt (or more depending upon your taste)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Ingredients for the Casserole:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium sized diced red onion
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 orange bell pepper, cored and diced
1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
1 jalapeño, seeded, if desired and diced
1 4.5 ounce can BPA-free chopped chili pepper
1 1/2 cup fresh mango, peeled and diced
3/4 cup fresh or frozen organic corn
1 14-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomato (keep the juices)
1/4 cup tomato puree
2 cups baby spinach, chopped
1 15-ounce can BPA-free organic black beans
1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
3 cups cooked brown rice
2 handfuls of corn tortilla chips
- In a small bowl, combine the Tex-Mex spice blend (chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, sea salt, coriander and cinnamon). Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degree Celsius).
- In a large wok, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeño and chili peppers and sauté until the onions appear opaque and the bell peppers are semi-tender.
- Stir in the Tex-Mex blend, corn, diced tomato and their juices, tomato puree, spinach, beans, rice and 1/2 cup of the shredded vegan cheddar cheese. Cook until well-heated. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the mango and stir thoroughly. Allow to cook until heated through.
- Pour the mixture into a large casserole dish. Top with the remaining vegan cheddar cheese. Crush the tortilla chips with your hands and sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Cover with a lid or foil and cook for 15 minutes. Uncover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more, until the cheese is golden brown and the sides are bubbling.
- Scoop into bowls and top with green onion, avocado and salsa.